Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mirror, mirror on the wall.....


Not to ruin anyone's day, but I just read the most disturbing article about mirrors. Apparently, scientific studies have shown that "...people, on average...[form] a representation of their image that it is more attractive than they actually are."


Now, how they are scientifically quantifying attractiveness is a bit of a mystery but they do explain it a little bit in the article: Participants in the study are asked to identify their own images on a "lineup" amid other faces and they are able to find themselves "significantly quicker" when their faces are computer enhanced/airbrushed.


If you're anything like me you've probably outfitted your house with mirrors you find flattering and, hopefully, accurate. I have a full-length that I angle against a wall instead of hang as I'm convinced it gives a more truthful impression that way. And I always get annoyed when I find myself in a store that has either "skinny" or "fat" mirrors--especially the skinny ones, which I deem to be a shameless sales tactic.


But if this article is accurate, maybe I've been the fool all along?! Eeeeek!!!


Thoughts? What's your relationship with your mirror? Do you think they lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts - be honest ladies: