Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Beautiful Mommy



I think of myself as a pretty liberal chick....like left wing, lesbian, light-weight feminist - minus the hairy arm pits and Birkenstock sandals! (LOL) But when I came across this bit of info from the Wendy Williams Experience I was floored.....this is some bullshit, PERIOD!
According to the info listed on-line, this book was created by a plastic surgeon to help parents explain plastic surgery to their children. From Newsweek:
"My Beautiful Mommy" is aimed at kids ages four to seven and features a plastic surgeon named Dr. Michael (a musclebound superhero type) and a girl whose mother gets a tummy tuck, a nose job and breast implants. Before her surgery the mom explains that she is getting a smaller tummy: "You see, as I got older, my body stretched and I couldn't fit into my clothes anymore. Dr. Michael is going to help fix that and make me feel better." Mom comes home looking like a slightly bruised Barbie doll with demure bandages on her nose and around her waist.
The text doesn't mention the breast augmentation, but the illustrations intentionally show Mom's breasts to be fuller and higher. "I tried to skirt that issue in the text itself," says Salzhauer. "The tummy lends itself to an easy explanation to the children: extra skin and can't fit into your clothes. The breasts might be a stretch for a six-year-old."
I am almost speechless, the cover and the illustrations of "Mommy" in the mansion and driving the BMW-like-SUV made me throw up a bit in my mouth! A total embodiment of what people hate about plastic surgery!! I am all for a tummy-tuck here and a breast-lift there to improve my overall appearance but would I feel the need to explain in detail my own inner struggles with body-image to my child - I THINK NOT! The whole concept of the book is a bit creepy for my taste.
Now what would REALLY be hilarious is if the illustrations showed "Mommy" getting excessive plastic surgery to look like a cat-woman!! LOL LMAO LOL (sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Smooches & Mommy's Breast Implant Quick Claps,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts - be honest ladies: