Thursday, October 25, 2007

Is Lip Balm Addictive?

Good Morning people, have you ever wondered if lip balm is addictive? (I know I have cause if I do not have a gloss or lipstick on my lips I MUST have lip balm!!!) Well I am here to answer your question.....

It’s true that everyone you know who uses lip balm, I mean REALLY uses lip balm. We’ve all heard the myth that many lip balms contain ingredients that keep lips chapped and therefore always in need of moisturizing. But there’s no scientific evidence to prove this. (gotta wonder how much they were paid to come up with this conclusion) Experts believe the addictive behavior lip balm users tend to have comes from the psychological effect of having soft, smooth lips. When the lip balm wears off, users used to soft, supple lips lick their lips to hydrate them, which in turn dries them out.


The skin on our lips is very thin and there are no oil glands to help protect them. So, it's up to you. Here are a few things you should know about your lips and how to care for them. Remember, the most expensive lipstick is not going to help dried, crusty lips.

The Reasons...

Heat, as well as, cold can contribute to dry lips.

Another cause of dry lips is aging. The older you get, the more prone they are to chapping.

Avoid licking your lips (which is easier said than done, I know, but read on)

Another bad habit that you can fall into is biting off bits of dead skin.

Chewing on your lips is more popular than you might think. And for women who wear lipstick, here is a bit of trivia that I dug up for you. Did you know that women who are habitual lip chewers eat four to nine pounds of lipstick during their life?

How To Protect Your Lips...

Drink plenty of water to moisturize your lips from the inside.


Cracked lips could be a sign that your diet is low in B vitamins.

Keep lips well lubricated at all times and this means at bedtime as well. My lips are especially dry right after brushing my teeth!

I find that one lip balm is not enough. I keep one in my desk drawer, one in the bathroom, and one in each of my purses.


PS - A bit of useless trivia.....Did you know that the first lip balm was actually earwax. It worked, but the flavor left something to be desired.


Until tomorrow - Smooches, Quick Claps, and Much Love-
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts - be honest ladies: