Friday, September 28, 2007

Is it wrong?

In this day and age, there are SO many negative depictions of women in the media and music videos (even though I must admit that I am a video watcher from time to time, don't revoke my feminist card please) that women are scared to just be themselves in fear of being placed in a box and labeled. Prior to my relationship, I would say that I was the Samantha Jones of my Sex in the City Crew - independent, sexually free, and LOVED to talk about it. I believed in true love, hoped to find it one day (more later than sooner), and bluntly stood for sex with no relationship. Was I a whore? Was I a loose woman? Or was I exercising the same rights that men exercise? (DING DING)


We all know that relationships can be marvelous and magical: there are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar (these usually equal trouble if you have left and decide to revisit it), those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you full circle and right back where you started. It is an awesome feeling to have a deep and profound connection with another human-being and not have to shave your legs as often. All that is all good, but in my times of being a bachelorette (and I believe that I would revert back to this belief if I find myself single again) I found that the most exciting and challenging of them all was the relationship I had with myself! I was committed to living my life to the fullest and tasting the "rainbow"!! (I know yall get it right, lol) I was open, honest, and clear with all those that I was dealing with so that there were no expectations set that I could not and would not fulfill. Men and aggressive women (have to include my fellow lesbian readers) do this ALL the time, it's as if they are handed a How-To-Guide when they hit puberty. We all know the game and have been victims of the game over, and over, and OVER again so why not join in?


No more are the days of placing marriage on a pedestal, embracing the Cinderella Syndrome and waiting for a perfect person to rescue you, missing the significance of the present moment, being short-sighted about life, or subjecting your heart to foolish choices just have a man or a piece of a man! (refer to blog entry on Wed 9/26/07) Have fun with life and embrace the moment - just do so carefully, safely, without regret, and without fear of a label.


Until tomorrow - Smooches, Quick Claps, and Much Love-
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts - be honest ladies: